Directions to knit your own stockings for the troops:
If you would like to make your own stocking and send it to our troops, follow these instructions and send your stockings to us. We will fill them and send them overseas to the soldiers. The final product will look like the stocking pictured to the right. You can use any color of yarn that you like.
If you don't knit, please still join us. We love crocheted stockings, sewn stockings, and decorated felt stockings. All of these stockings should be about 6 inches high and 4 inches wide.
Lets make some stockings for the soldiers. Here is what you need:Worsted Weight Yarn.
Size 7 Needles.
Skill Level: Advanced Beginner
Cast on 28 stitches Knit 6 rows (garter stitch)
Starting with right side, work 24 rows in Stockinette Stitch (SS)
Work short rows as follows:
- Knit 18, turn
- Purl 9, turn
- Knit 10, turn
- Purl 11, turn
- Knit 12, turn
- Purl 13, turn
- Knit 14, turn
- Purl 15, turn
- Knit 16, turn
- Purl 17, turn
- Knit 18, turn
- Purl 19, turn
- Knit 20, turn
- Purl 21, turn
- Knit 22, turn
- Purl 23, turn
- Knit 24, turn
- Purl 25, turn
- Knit 26, turn
- Purl 27, turn
- Knit 28, turn
- Purl one row even
- Knit 6 rows even in Stockinette Stitch
- Shape Toe
- Row 1: *Knit 1, Knit 2 together, repeat from * , last stitch Knit 1.
- Row 2: *Purl 1, Purl 2 together, repeat from * , last stitch purl 1.
- Row 3: Knit 2 together to end of row, with last stitch knit 1.
- Row 4: Purl 2 together to end of row, with last stitch purl 1.
- Cut yarn about 12 inches and draw through remaining stitches and fasten off.
- Sew seam with 12 inches of yarn.